Top Five Reasons Why Inpatient Rehab is the Best Choice After Major Surgery, Trauma, or Illness
There’s no place like home, unless you are recovering from a major health event that requires physical rehabilitation. If you or a loved one need rehab after orthopedic surgery, a heart attack, stroke, car accident, or any other event that leaves you or them with serious functional limitations, then inpatient rehabilitation programs, like ours at The Nathaniel Witherell, are the place to go.
“Witherell offers comprehensive, specialized, intensive, and highly-focused care to ensure the speediest recovery possible with the least amount of pain,” says Allen Brown, Witherell’s executive director. Brown says that when compared to outpatient or home-based services, there are numerous benefits of receiving inpatient rehab. Here are the top five:
- Access to therapists, as well as therapeutic equipment and facilities, 7 days a week. At Witherell, therapy is available every day, rather than the two or three times a week common to outpatient or home-based therapy. This way your progress can continue without interruption. If prescribed, orthopedic rehab sessions are available twice a day, Monday through Friday, and once a day on weekends and most holidays.
- Ability to focus solely on physical therapy. Inpatient rehab is a particularly powerful treatment option for people who require intensive recovery. If you’ve had major surgery or suffered a severe injury or debilitating illness, inpatient rehab is most likely the best option for you as you will be able to focus 100 percent on your physical therapy without distractions. In addition, your progress can be more consistently and closely monitored than if you were to attend an outpatient rehab center or receive home-based services.
- The expert services of an interdisciplinary team of medical professionals. In addition to physical and occupational therapists, the rehabilitation team at Witherell includes physicians and nurse practitioners, speech and language pathologists, recreational therapists, nutritionists, nursing staff, and case managers, among other highly trained professionals.
Each patient is thoroughly evaluated by a team of rehabilitation specialists, who will, with the input of the patient and/or family members and the patient’s own health care team, formulate the best rehabilitation therapy plan to meet individual recovery goals.
- High quality care with all the amenities of living at home, plus more! Rather than visiting medical offices scattered throughout different cities and towns, you can get all the professional care you need in one place, and a pretty nice one at that! At Witherell, we have 46 private rooms with Wi-Fi and attractively furnished live/work space for our rehab patients. There are also many inviting public spaces, dining options, and a wide variety of educational and entertainment programs that are open to our rehab patients.
- Greater amount and variety of state-of-the-art equipment available to patients. Rehab equipment at Witherell is state-of-the-art, ranging from NuStep and SciFit to the latest electronic stimulation therapy (e-stim) and ultrasound. We also have specially designed training rooms – kitchen, laundry, and bathroom – for patients to practice activities needed to return to daily living.
At Witherell, our primary goal is to provide the highest level of care to get you back to an active lifestyle as soon as possible.
To learn more about short-term rehab at The Nathaniel Witherell, call George Cossifos, admissions director, at 203-618-4232.